Job Description – Staff Accountant
PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT WITH INTELLIGENCE. The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is a 501(c)(3) independent, international, non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. with a proven record of triggering and affecting systemic change to protect the Earth’s environment. Over the last three decades, EIA has established a unique paradigm of methods to drive change – including pioneering the use of undercover investigative techniques to expose environmental crime and drive impact. These crimes include illegal trade in endangered wildlife, illegal logging and associated trade in illegal timber, and the trade in both climate-damaging and ozone-layer-depleting gases.
EIA-US is seeking a dedicated, highly motivated, and experienced Staff Accountant to join EIA’s Operations and Finance team in its Washington, D.C. office to support its programs and mission.
The position will entail a wide range of functions including:
- Managing day-to-day accounting functions including account payables, account reconciliations, monthly allocations, general ledger reconciliation, and account receivables, credit card reconciliations.
- Coordinate month-end and year-end closing process and preparation of financial statements.
- Preparation of monthly budget vs. actual reports and account variance analysis and cashflow projections.
- Work closely with the Grants Manager to assist in reviewing and reconciling subgrant financial reports and the monthly reporting to program managers.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of financial records and information in accordance with policies, procedures, and established internal controls.
- Support with contracts and agreements monitoring, and compliance process.
- Coordinate the annual audit preparation.
- Coordinate the annual 990 tax filing and other tax filings.
- Coordinate in preparation of annual 1099-MISC forms.
- Provide operations support, general office management, and administrative support including IT as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, grant funder reporting, and other financial reports, as needed.
- Assist with HR functions including payroll processing.
- Perform other financial and administrative duties as needed.
Essential Expertise and Qualifications
- Minimum of 3 years of nonprofit accounting experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or similar field.
- Expert knowledge of QuickBooks and Excel.
- Strong entrepreneurial
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative and cooperative approach to work.
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy, pay close attention to detail, be very organized, and handle confidential information appropriately.
- Solid understanding of GAAP and internal controls requirements.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities within a fast-moving
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize disparate information and multiple activities, as well as to anticipate, identify, and solve problems.
- Experience with managing federal funding
- Spanish and French language skills
EIA strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world.
EIA is an equal employment opportunity committed to workforce diversity. All employment at EIA is decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and organizational needs.
Compensation and Location
This is a full-time position with an estimated starting salary range between $57,000 and $70,000, commensurate with experience.
EIA offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance coverage, 401K, paid time off (vacation, sick and personal leave), disability benefits, workers’ compensation, professional development support, flexible working arrangements, cell phone monthly allowance, and monthly commuter allowance.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Staff Accountant.” In your email, please note where you saw this job posting.
This position is open immediately. The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the large volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those selected for interviews and are not able to answer emails or phone calls. Being authorized to work in the United States is a pre-condition of employment.