PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT WITH INTELLIGENCE. The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is a 501(c)(3) independent, international, non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. with a proven record of triggering and affecting systemic change to protect the Earth’s environment. Over the last three decades, EIA has established a unique paradigm of methods to drive change — including pioneering the use of undercover investigative techniques to expose environmental crime and drive impact. These crimes include illegal trade in endangered wildlife, illegal logging and associated trade in illegal timber, and the trade in both climate-damaging and ozone-layer-depleting gases.
EIA is seeking a creative and highly motivated Operations and HR Assistant to join one of the most dynamic advocacy teams in Washington DC. As a key member of the Finance and Operations team, EIA seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual to help support day-to-day operations, provide support to the HR and Finance team, and consistently strive to refine and improve the organization’s efficiency, procedures, and policies. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
● Provide administrative support, including data entry, filing, and general office support.
● Maintains office supplies and technology inventory, purchases, and coordination with vendors.
● Support day-to-day Human Resources matters, including maintaining employee files, compensation and benefits administration, payroll processing, performance review process, hiring, health insurance, recordkeeping, orientation, training, and other human resources related matters as they arise.
● Assist with preparing onboarding materials, posting job announcements and coordinating interview scheduling.
● Support and facilitate general office administration and facility management.
● Regularly check PO Box; sort and distribute incoming mail.
● Assist with coordinating events, including holiday party and staff meetings
● Maintain filing systems and provide information management assistance.
● Conduct research and analysis on certain programmatic work as required.
● Support EIA campaigns in day-to-day administrative and operational needs, as requested
● Support finance team with various tasks, including credit card reconciliations, staff reimbursements, spreadsheet reconciliation, etc.
● Support the Operations and Administration Manager in a variety of tasks, including consultant invoicing and payments.
● Coordinate in research, selection, and implementation of various operations team tools
Essential Expertise and Qualifications:
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field, including human resources, management, finance, or business administration, or an equivalent combination of certifications and relevant courses.
● Minimum of two (2) years of demonstrated experience.
● Experience with Human Resources.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills, and strong proofreading skills to ensure accuracy and quality of written materials.
● Demonstrated ability to effectively organize disparate information, multiple activities, and competing priorities.
● Ability to anticipate, identify, and solve problems.
● Exceptional interpersonal skills — including an eagerness to engage with others and ability to work effectively with people in various locations.
● Ability to maintain a high level of efficiency, confidentiality and integrity in a fast-paced, demanding, and often changing environment.
● Good work ethic, high standards, strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
● Foreign language skills, particularly Spanish, French, Portuguese or Mandarin, a plus.
Commitment to Inclusion, Racial Justice and Anti-oppression:
EIA strives to integrate values of equity, fairness, inclusiveness, transparency, and accountability into our work, which includes reflecting our commitment to racial justice in our programmatic work and our organizational structure and values. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create an inclusive work environment and world.
EIA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All employment at EIA is decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs.
Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Operations and HR Assistant” in the subject line. In your email, please note where you saw this job posting. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to respond to those selected for interviews.
This position is open immediately. Being authorized to work in the United States is a pre-condition of employment.
Open until filled.